Is it no problem to claim pension refund twice or more?

By | 01/10/2022

Requirements to claim Japanese pension refund

  • You do not have Japanese nationality,
  • You do not have an address in Japan, and
  • You contribute Japanese pensions for more than 6 months but less than 10 years (*)

(*) Persons who have / had Japanese Permanent Residency need to clear an additional requirement. Please see this article of our blog.

If you clear the above requirements then you can claim your pension refund (Lump-sum Withdrawal Payments). Once you receive the pension refund for your past contributions, your contribution record gets back to zero month.

You can claim Japanese pension refund again if you clear the requirements

Assume that you had been employed in Japan for 5 years, having contributed Japanese pension (Kosei Nenkin) throughout the employment, and after that you leave Japan with deleting Japanese address. Then you clear all the requirements to claim your pension refund, so after you claim and receive your pension refund your contribution period gets back to zero month.

If you go back to work in Japan again after that, then you will be able to claim your pension refund again for the period you are newly employed. For another 5 year’s employment, for example, you will be able to receive a pension refund for this 5 years.

However, if you don’t claim your pension refund when you leave Japan and get employed in Japan again after a while , there will be another story. If the total contribution period gets over 10 years, then you will lose a qualification to claim your pension refund in exchange of acquiring a qualification to receive Japanese old age pension (after age 65). Once you acquire a qualification of Japanese old age pension, you cannot nullify it so you cannot claim your pension refund anymore.

YouAT LLC gives you services for Japanese pension and tax refunds

We YouAT LLC has more than 10 year’s history to support non-Japanese employees’ “Lump-sum Withdrawal Payments”, “Old Age Pension”, and income tax refunds.
We have staff of Labor and Social Security Attorney, Administrative Scrivener, and Tax Accountant.

Please feel free to contact us for Japanese Pension and Tax Refunds!

YouAT LLC website — >

Email –>

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *