Monthly Archives: August 2021

Japanese health insurances have no lump-sum refund?

Japanese health insurance system and ‘Gensen Choshu’ All Japanese residents need to get registered in one of public health insurances, along with public pensions. Japanese health insurance system is divided in, like public pension system, two parts -one for employees only and another for all the other residents. Employee Health Insurance (健康保険[Kenko Hoken]) : for… Read More »

Can ‘Eijusha'(Permanent Resident) claim Lump-sum Withdrawal Payments?

They can but they have an additional condition “Eijusha (永住者)” is the word meaning a permanent resident. Non-Japanese persons whom Japanese government grants a Permanent Residency in Japan are “Eijusha”. If an Eijusha leaves Japan permanently or for some years, can they claim pension’s Lump-sum Withdrwal Payments (脱退一時金)? The answer is yes, but there is… Read More »

What is ‘Hikyojusha (Non-resident)’? Can’t claim income tax refunds?

Hikyojusha cannot claim a refund of withheld income tax basically We have received a lot of queries from non-Japanese customers who were employed by Japanese companies before. Of them there are queries about income tax refunds of “Hikyojusha (非居住者)”, whose literal translation is “Non-resident”. Some customers show us a sheet of payments for Hikyojusha, and… Read More »

What is the difference between ‘Kokumin Nenkin’ and ‘Kosei Nenkin’?

Kokumin Nenkin and Kosei Nenkin Japan has a unique public pension system in the world. It provides residents with two kinds of pensions – “Kokumin Nenkin” (国民年金, National Pension) and “Kosei Nenkin” (厚生年金, Employees’ Pension Insurance). Employees hired by employers are registered in Kosei Nenkin. All the other residents are registered in Kokumin Nenkin. These… Read More »