Author Archives: youat

Japanese health insurances have no lump-sum refund?

Japanese health insurance system and ‘Gensen Choshu’ All Japanese residents need to get registered in one of public health insurances, along with public pensions. Japanese health insurance system is divided in, like public pension system, two parts -one for employees only and another for all the other residents. Employee Health Insurance (健康保険[Kenko Hoken]) : for… Read More »

Can ‘Eijusha'(Permanent Resident) claim Lump-sum Withdrawal Payments?

They can but they have an additional condition “Eijusha (永住者)” is the word meaning a permanent resident. Non-Japanese persons whom Japanese government grants a Permanent Residency in Japan are “Eijusha”. If an Eijusha leaves Japan permanently or for some years, can they claim pension’s Lump-sum Withdrwal Payments (脱退一時金)? The answer is yes, but there is… Read More »

What is ‘Hikyojusha (Non-resident)’? Can’t claim income tax refunds?

Hikyojusha cannot claim a refund of withheld income tax basically We have received a lot of queries from non-Japanese customers who were employed by Japanese companies before. Of them there are queries about income tax refunds of “Hikyojusha (非居住者)”, whose literal translation is “Non-resident”. Some customers show us a sheet of payments for Hikyojusha, and… Read More »

What is the difference between ‘Kokumin Nenkin’ and ‘Kosei Nenkin’?

Kokumin Nenkin and Kosei Nenkin Japan has a unique public pension system in the world. It provides residents with two kinds of pensions – “Kokumin Nenkin” (国民年金, National Pension) and “Kosei Nenkin” (厚生年金, Employees’ Pension Insurance). Employees hired by employers are registered in Kosei Nenkin. All the other residents are registered in Kokumin Nenkin. These… Read More »

Japanese Resident Tax – What percentage of income? Can’t get refunded?

Japanese Resident Tax – What percentage of income? In Japan there are two kinds of taxes for a personal income – (national) income tax (所得税, Shotoku-zei) and resident tax (住民税, Jumin-zei. also translated as inhabitant tax). Japanese residents pay resident taxes to two levels of local communities – one to prefectures (都道府県, Todofuken) and another… Read More »

What percent of salary do Japanese employees pay as a pension contribution?

The percentage of pension contribution in salary Japanese pensions and health insurances have their financial resources in two ways: one from national budget of Japanese government and another from contributions of residents in Japan. Japanese employees pay contributions of pension and health insurances from their salaries in every month, that are withheld from their salaries… Read More »

What is ‘Nencho’? Can employees claim a refund of Japanese income tax?

Nencho and Gensen Choshu “Nencho (年調)” also called as “Nenmatsu Chosei (年末調整)” means a payback of too much taken income taxes at the end of each year (December), that Japanese employers do for their employees. Japanese employers withhold taxes as well as social security contributions from employees’ monthly salary. They gather contributions on behalf of… Read More »

Lump-sum Withdrawal Payments or Old Age Pension – Which is better?

Lump-sum Withdrawal Payments or Old Age Pension – under what conditions can you choose it? Non-Japanese employees can choose to receive “Lump-sum Withdrawal Payments (脱退一時金, Lump-sum pension refunds)” or “Old Age Pension(老齢年金)” if they fill all the following 3 conditions: Paying Japanese pensions (Kosei Nenkin /Kokumin Nenkin) for 6 months or more Paying Japanese pensions… Read More »